Sunday, October 2, 2016

Blog Entry # 5



For this week’s blog post we are supposed to research a company that we want to apply for a job at.  This week I am looking at a job with the Department of Corrections at Sedgwick County.  I like the idea of this job because I should we well qualified for the position.  Additionally, the job involves many of the strengths that I possess such as record keeping, details, tracking, evaluations, communication, and referrals.  Through an internet search that included hrepartners.com, the Sedgwick county website, and Wikipedia, I was able to learn quite a bit about the organization of Sedgwick County and gain a better idea of what to expect.  I did find this information reliable because of the sources.  Usually I do not recommend or use Wikipedia as a reliable source, however because I used that source only for demographic and background information such as location, population and the like I think it was a fine resource to use. 
I think that this position would fulfill many of the options that would be looking for at the time of graduation.  The benefits package is great and includes very low cost to the employee health, dental, and vision insurances plus a retirement plan, and typical paid holidays and vacation days.  Additionally, I know that I will be looking for a service type job so that I can have an advantage to getting my student loans paid off (I plan to use an income based plan while enrolled in the service program so that I have an income based payment then after 10 years my remaining loan balance will be forgiven tax free). 
I think that I would be appealing to this company because of my educational background and previous record keeping experience.  I think that I would have an advantage over most because of my abilities in statistical analysis and research strength in public policy. If I chose to apply to this company I would be sure to use several key words including: administered, coordinated, demonstrated, established, identified, implemented, reorganized, supervised, and targeted. These key words would draw attention to my highlighted skills that would benefit the job I am wanting to obtain.  The better that I highlight my skills the more likely, I would be to be called in for an interview which would give me the platform to have them get to know me better.  


No comments:

Post a Comment